There are 2 main variations that can be seen.
Kyphosis and scoliosis
- Kyphosis is backward bending of the vertebral column
- Scoliosis is lateral bending of the vertebral column
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Friedrich’s ataxia
- Cerebral palsy
- Marfans syndrome
- Turners syndrome
Method to diagnose scoliosis
- Request the child to remove their shirt (if allowed). Get them to stand straight with both hands on either side of their hips.
- Look for any curvature from the back,
- You can palpate the spine to confirm
Method to diagnose Kyphosis
- Look at the child from the side (laterally).
- You might notice an increase in anteroposterior distance