These murmurs are non-organic and are caused due to the flow rather than any anatomical damage to the heart
These disappear with age
- Usually systolic
- Never beyond grade 2
- No thrill
- Best heard over pulmonary area
- No radiation
- Changes with opposition
- Otherwise normal heart sounds, normal chest X Ray and ECG
Examples of innocent murmur
- It’s a ejection systolic murmur heard over right sternal border.
- Due to blood flow across the aortic valve.
- Seen in infancy to adolescence
Physiologic systolic ejection murmur
- Heard best at the left mid to upper sternal border.
- Heard with diaphragm of stethoscope
Supraclavicular arterial bruit
- Heard Above the clavicle.
Neonatal peripheral pulmonary stenosis(PPS):
- Heard from Birth to 3-6 months.
- Heard best at axillae and the back.
Cervical venous hum
- It is a Continuous hum.
- Best heard over right upper sternal border.