Many of expectant mothers wonder about the ‘dos’ and don’ts’ in pregnancy regarding eating.
- The aim is to take adequate calories with variety of vitamins and minerals naturally.
- There are various phases in pregnancy where the requirements vary. For example in early pregnancy certain vitamins are important and in later pregnancy, calories and protein become important.
- Healthy eating ensures that your baby develops well and grows healthy
- Healthy eating should ideally begin even before conception
- Avoid allergens and certain foods that can transmit bacteria
- The resistance of body in the first 3 months of pregnancy can we weak and you may need to be more precautious
- Always wash vegetables well before consumption and avoid close contact with pets especially Cats in the first 3 months as the faeces can transmit infections like toxoplasma
- Cook meat well and avoid raw meat
- You should aim to have variety of fruits and vegetables and have at least 5 portions of different types of them each day
- Protein can be got from beans, lentils, milk, nuts, eggs and meat.
- Carbohydrates can be got by ruce, cereals, bread
- Try to limit excess sugar intake
- It is considered adequate to have at least 4 meals in a day and snacks in between.
- Snacks can be fruits like bananas which have high minerals and nuts, raisins, dried fruits or fresh fruits.
- With regular snacking of fruits you may be able to control gastritis better
- High fruit and vegetable content also help overcome constipation by giving you higher fiber content
- Though natural foods help get adequate nutrients, certain phases demand more nutrient
- At Least one month before conception to 3 months after pregnancy, you may need folic acid tablets to avoid various brain malformations in your child.
- These tablets can be taken with other folic acid rich natural foods like meat, pulses, green leafy vegetables
- Generally in the first 3 months of pregnancy you may sense vomiting sensations due to the hormonal changes in your body.
- Most of these symptoms improve in 14 weeks time
- If the vomiting becomes severe, you may have to see your doctor who might suggest certain medications
You can improve morning sickness symptoms by
- Eating regular and small feeds every 2 hours
- Avoid spicy, oily food, caffeine and tea.
- Toast and biscuits are good as they are dry and easier digested.
- Drink lots of water
- Ginger containing food like biscuits, candies may help aldon with regular peppermint chewables
- Have sufficient sleep